How did you learn all this stuff?
Dear Student Who Asked Me This Question Today,
This blog post is dedicated to you. I hope it's helpful to you and to previous or future students (God-willing) as well.
1. If I had read more books in my youth I would know more by now. There's still time for you. (Read great books.)
2. If I had gone to a better undergraduate university, I would know more by now. If I had majored in a timeless subject, I would know more by now. There's still a chance for you.
(Let's talk! After school next week!)
3. Go to Catholic conferences, academic lectures, spiritual retreats and talks. Also you can also learn A LOT online.
4. Sign up for various trainings and internships.
5. GO TO STUDY PROGRAMS!
Here are the ones I've done:
~The John Jay Institute (it was called the Witherspoon Fellowship back then)-Fully funded
Here are the ones I wish I did/want to do:
~The Free Society Seminar-Fully funded in Slovakia!
~Alliance Defending Freedom-Arete Academy Fully funded
6. Surround yourself with like-minded friends and a community. Create a group if you don't have one. And then ask lots and lots of questions! I am relentless with my mentors. They are generous with me.
7. And last but not least, pray and ask the Holy Spirit to deepen your sense of wonder and curiosity about the true, the good, and the beautiful. The opportunities to learn are endless!
PS-Nota bene: Don't forget to ask for my help if you need it while applying or ask for a recommendation. Ask for scholarships if you need it--it never hurts to ask. Save your money and travel. It is one of the best ways to learn.